Monday 9 April 2012

Turning over a new leaf...


Today I took my lazy self out for a run.  It was not a great run, total distance was 3.97 km.  Total running distance was likely 2.8 – 3.0 km.  





It was all I could do to push myself to run as much as I did.  I think my body is punishing me for not training as much as I should have, and my body is right, I do deserve it.  I was physically capable of running at any point in time but was too lazy to drag myself out there.  Given these facts, I think this week will be rather painful as I try to get myself back to my regular running self.  I am trying to turn over a new leaf in an effort to be more motivated.  This will encompass actually getting things done and doing my scheduled runs and workouts, which will definitely include one session at the pool.  I will not be hitting the pool more than once a week as I am allergic to chlorine, so until I can determine whether or not my skin is going to react badly I will keep it to a minimum.  I want to start pool training so that my endurance is back to normal in time to start swimming in the lake as soon as it is warm enough. 

Aside from the disappointing performance today, I did partially enjoy the run.  I ran in Point Pleasant Park in Halifax, which was really nice for a change.  I am used to running on pavement, so running on crushed gravel and trails was a welcome change.  It is amazing how much lower impact it was!  As it is Easter Monday, there were many people out with their dogs, their children and there were a ton of runners out there.  

The squirrels were out in full force!

Halifax Harbour...


Part of the Cambridge Battery in the park.
 
The other great thing about the run was that I did not feel rushed.  I did not have to work because of the holiday, so I dropped my husband off for his shift and then hit the trails.  Now I am finishing this post and slowly getting ready for another wedding I have to perform this evening.  It appears as though wedding season has officially begun!

In terms of the IBS, I felt that familiar urge during the run but worked through it enough to do a bit more before I really felt like I might keel over from exhaustion.  I did go to the park prepared with extra Kleenex in hand in case I had to use the facilities.  I was, however, hell-bent on not using the washroom as many of the “washrooms” are actually outhouses, and quite honestly, I am a bit too prissy for that.  I can safely say, though, that I have noticed steady progress since I began running.   It is very rare that I actually stop my run to use the washroom; normally I can run through it long enough to complete my target distance.  I attribute this to the extensive amount of planning that goes into a run.  I plan my meals around the run in terms of what I eat and how far in advance I can eat it.  This is part of the reason why I do evening runs, and unfortunately, why I eat so late at night.  I cannot eat any less than 1.5 hours before a run, otherwise, I will not have enough time to digest and use the washroom before I go.  But, all of this planning is definitely better than the alternative, Princess Poopy Pants?  No thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment